Yes, I know that "Take the Lead" is a movie, and this post is someone related as it involves dance. For the past couple of weeks, I have been attending salsa rueda classes (aka Cuban Salsa or salsa done in a circle) and it's been TONS of fun. Usually, there are lots of people that come to the class (it's free and is offered on a "drop-in" basis) and ususally the guy to girl ratio is pretty even. If anything, there are 1 or 2 more guys than girls. Last night however, this was not the case and so some of the girls had to be leaders instead of followers. Now, I've lead before in regular salsa, but leading in salsa rueda is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Needless to say, I was totally confused. I got some of the basic steps like enchufle and enchufle doble, pas la con hermanos, and dame. But when we got to some of the twisty, curvy ones I was usually at lost. I often forgot which way to turn the follower for the first turn and would often get cofused somewhere in the middle. Nevertheless, I struggled through it and it was fun. However, I definitely prefer to be the follower! I also learned some key lessons:
1. Cut the leaders a little slack. Their job is difficult.
2. It really helps if followers know what they're doing....e.g.. know which way you will turn and what partner you will be going to
3. Followers: don't preempt the leader. Wait until he/she gives you the signal.
4. Most of all...no matter what...KEEP DANCING!
No comments:
Post a Comment