Today I felt nearly the full spectrum of emotions? I'm not sure what the right word is....this morning I woke up with a pretty bad headache. As per usual when I feel icky when I wake up, I buried my head under the covers and tried to coerce myself back to sleep in the hope that the oblivion would eliminate my pain. Also as per usual, this tactic did not work (the fact that my roommate was up and moving about at 6:30 in the morning probably had somethign to do with that, too). Anyway, I could't dawdle too long b/c I had a meeting with my PI (principle investigator...grad school lab mentor) at 11am and I needed to do some last minute reading before hand. So, I dragged myself out of bed and despite the pounding in my head decided that the headache wasn't as bad as the one I had earlier in the week and as such, I could afford to shower and get dressed before drugging myself up with advil. Well, halfway through dressing, I suddenly felt very woozy. I needed to boost my blood sugar NOW and get some food in my system so that I could take the advil. Heedless of the fact that I was only half-dressed (thank goodness my roommate had already left! Although, I was feeling so bad that I probably wouldn't have cared!), I stumbled into the kitchen, poured my self a glass of juice to sip, turned on water for oatmeal, and stumbled onto the couch in the living room before I collapsed. The juice helped raise my blood sugar and soon the water was hot enough for my instant oatmeal. I got through about half the oatmeal before the nauseousness settled in. Skipping the rest of the oatmeal, I downed 2 advil right away, pulled a blanket out of the storage ottoman, set my phone alarm for 20 min and passed out on the couch to let the advil take effect. Twenty minutes later the worst of the pain had subsided (God bless Advil!!!) and I was at least functional enough to finish getting ready and get to lab.
A low grade headache persisted until lunch. Lunch...food, I am convinced, is the cure all. I felt much better after lunch, but was still a little tired through out the day...surreptiously taking cat naps at my desk. I finally gave up at 4:30p and head home. Another short catnap on the couch and I conviced myself to get up and go to dance class. I considered not going, but I had missed a class a couple of weeks in a row earlier (I usually go twice a week) and I recalled how much it sucked getting back into the swing of things. So I hauled my butt of the couch and into my leotard and tights, grabbed a bottle of water, and money for a snack on the way and headed out the door. Two and a half hours later, I was in heaven. I had such a great class (Friday class is always challenging both technically and endurance-wise, but is so much fun) that I felt I could keep on dancing the night away. I grooved to music on the way home and was dancing around the house when I got home (I was looking VERY forward to having the house to myself for a little bit tonight while my roommate hung out with her new classmates). I was still grooving when she came home unexpectedly with a classmate to pick something up. Her classmate was from Argentina, and the poor thing must have thought that I was absolutely off my rocker given the way I was acting (I couldn't help it! The radio was on loud and I couldn't help but jam away...my adrenaline was still pumping from class). I tried to tell her that I'm normally not this crazy (well at least to people I just meet anyway! hehe), but I don't think she believed me. Oh well! You win some you lose some! I am thoroughly grateful that today ended on a "high" given the very "low" I had this morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment