On this day one year ago, I moved to California. I was both nervous and excited. I would be starting a new phase in my life - graduate school. Was I ready? Had I made a mistake? Did I pick the right school? Was I smart enough? Was taking a year off the wrong decision, and was it going to come back to bite me in the butt in the year to come? I was also transitioning to less money with more expenses, not to mention going from being paid biweekly to quarterly (that's right - only 4 paychecks a year). How would that work? It would be the first time that I had to generate a very specific, detailed budget instead of just a general idea. Would I like my roommate? Would she like me? More importantly, would we be able to successfully live together? Would I like the west coast? All of these thoughts were rambling through my mind on the flight over from the east coast and during my first few days of being in Cali.
Well, now a year later, I am happy to say that all is well. Though the first few months were hairy, I can honestly say that I now feel that I made the right decision in terms of school. I survived my first year of grad school classes and all of my lab rotations. And while, I certainly was not the smartest in any of my classes, I am glad to say that I pulled through just fine. Afterall, the motto for grad school is "You don't have to get an 'A,' you just have to pass." Hehe. To top it all off, I have chosen a thesis lab and am now fully entrenched in grad school life. It also turns out that I LOVE being paid on a quarterly system. No more having to wait until the next paycheck to pay a bill. I can pay it right when I get it. And budgeting is no problem...it suits my detailed and organized personality quite well. My roommate fears were also unfounded. We get along great and live together extremely well. While I primarily consider myself a "Southern girl," I really like the west coast. The weather can't be beat (no humidity, no hurricanes, no tornadoes) - nearly the perfect temperature for 6-8 months of the year. There's a variety of things to do with both the ocean and the mountains close by. The atmosphere is relaxed and laid back, and if the people aren't exactly as friendly as back home, well...you can't have everything! Thus, on the eve of my second year in Cali, I can only hope that things continue to go well and that life continues to blossom!
No comments:
Post a Comment