Sunday, September 10, 2006

Twinkle Toes

I have many family nicknames, but one in particular is "Twinkle Toes" because of my love of dancing. Well, did I dance last night or what! A friend invited me to join her and some other friends in a night of dancing in SF. We went to a salsa supper club called Roccapulco, and it was fabulous!!! I first heard about this club from a post-doc in one of the labs that I rotated through, and originally I wanted to go there for my birthday (but I figured the vast majority of people wouldn't make the trip to the city). Needless to say, I was excited to check it out in person. The club is great...there's lots of seating and a decent-sized dance floor. They even had a live band! The clientele was a mix of old and young, but everyone was dancing and it wasn't over crowded. There was plenty of room on the dance floor and you weren't dripping sweat from too many people. We danced all night long (literally - from 10p to close at 2a). I think I only sat out 2 songs the entire night...(my feet just couldn't take anymore towards the end of the night). I have never been twirled, spun, and dipped more in my life! It's definitely the type of place that you go to if you already know how to salsa (beginners beware). I wouldn't say I'm a great salsa dancer, but I know the basics and I can follow pretty well. Although, as the night wore on, my following ability was inversely proportional to my degree of tiredness. I did see a lot of styling on the dance floor and I'm going to try to work on that. The majority of the guys were great leaders, but I think the best ones tended to be older. My toes did get stepped on a little bit towards the end of the night, and I noticed as we were leaving the club that my big toe nail had been cracked and was all bloody! (I'm feeling it today...Ouch!). Although I was dead tired and aching from my hips to my knees to my poor feet as I limped home at 3am, it was definitely well worth it! I can't wait to go again!

No comments: