Monday, February 06, 2006

Mrs. Fields I'm not

I have a weakness for cookies. I absolutely love them! For some people it's chocolate, for others it's cake, but for me it's definitely cookies! I think I developed this passion for cookies in college when I discovered Mrs. Field's cookies at the St. Louis Galleria. Finally, someone got innovated with the non-chocolate cookie! As I am allergic to chocolate, my childhood was plagued with only one cookie option - sugar. While tasty, it quickly grew old. I know, I know, you're saying "but what about peanut butter and oatmeal raisin?" Well, I hate peanut butter and I don't like raisins. (I know...I'm so picky, but I prefer to call it "selective!" ) Anyway, at Mrs. Field's I discovered rainbow-sprinkled covered sugar cookies and my favorite, butter toffee. Alas, when I graduated and left The Lou and returned to a place where the only Mrs. Field's came in chocolate varities in the grocery store instead of at a specialized kiosk. After 16 months of Mrs. Field's deprivation, imagine my excitement when i discovered that the school hospital cafeteria sells real Mrs. Field's cookies! Only a short walk away from my lab....ahh, heaven!

I was in line at Boston Market one day (I didn't feel like cooking dinner) when I noticed cookies placed so conveniently by the register. There were 2 kinds: the oh so predictable chocolate chip and a suprising oatmeal scotchy cookie. Intrigued, I investigated further. This Oatmeal Scotchy contained butterscotch chips (hences the scotchy part) and some kind of nuts (walnuts or pecans or something). I couldn't help it...I bought one. And the next time, I bought two! They were so good! Definitely my new favorite cookie! I sometimes dream about them during the middle of the day and even contemplating getting in my car and driving to Boston Market just to buy cookies! (Ludacris, I know, and I don't actually go JUST to buy cookies...I'll usually buy dinner, too!). Anyway, I was at the supermarket one day and saw Betty Crocker's oatmeal cookie mix was on sale and had a great idea. I would make my own oatmeal scotchy cookies! So I purchased the butterscotch chips and crushed walnuts and followed the directions on the back of the package. Well, much to my dismay, I've discovered that I am no Mrs. Fields! I guess I'll just have to stick to Boston Market and Mrs. Fields for my cookies fixes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry the cookies didn't work out...maybe you needed more butter :) haha. it's probably better that you don't start mass producing those cookies in your apartment...game night sounds like fun :) -CJ